Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Waterworks

So this is a post I've gone back and forth about...so I decided to go for it. I'm a woman...I'm emotional sometimes...I've cried at work. There I said it.

Then I ran into the bathroom, tried to fix my makeup and get my act together. But once I start, I feel like I can't stop the waterworks. Sigh. Sometimes I wish I was a man...they never seem to cry or if they get upset or hurt, you don't see it all over their face.

It's those times when I'm happy I have an office to hide in. I've talked to my female friends and colleagues and at least I'm not alone. It seems that many of us have had mini crying sessions at work. As I've gotten older, I've gotten better about stopping the waterworks...but every now and then something happens and I can't help it. They haven't all been bad tears...during the annual Thanksgiving luncheon I got teary eyed talking about what I'm thankful for, including my family who was dealing with some health issues.

But I guess the lesson here is that we're all human. We have bad days and our feelings can be hurt. Crying reminds me that I have a heart, I have emotions and embracing those emotions and feelings makes me who I am.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on tears. Has it happened to you? How do you feel and how do you deal with the waterworks?

3 comments:

  1. I think there are good tears, bad tears and unavoidable tears.

    Good: Joyful - the kind you described during yout Thanksgiving get together

    Bad: Crying during a review (or any other time) to get sympathy - I've seen it and all it did was make me (the person giving the review)LESS sympathetic (especially if it is a reoccuring theme)

    Unavoidable: Sometimes, no matter what you do, you just can't fight the tears. I always keep tissues, toilet paper, whatever in my desk for just these occasions (and thank goodness for make up - although I should invest in some Visine as well). If I am in a meeting, I try to take a break, get myself together and come back (even though it is embarassing!). If it is just out of general frustration or dissapointment, I seek refuge in the office of someone I trust to help me get through it as quickly as possible. Sometimes just talking for 5 minutes helps - even if it is just to get your mind off what is upsetting you.

    In general, I try not to cry at work, but it has happened and will happen again. Just as long as you don't become known as a crier, I think you are all good :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Fortuntely the last time I cried at work was my first real job at age 25 and I can't even remember why. I was SO embarassed and happy that my boss was a woman and even though she was hard core she showed empathy. It just happens. It happens to all of us girls because like it or not women are different from men and we need to simply wipe our eyes and act as professionally as possible as we cry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. It's how you deal with the tears that counts!

    ReplyDelete