Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The "Other" Grad School: Life

There are many schools of thought on graduate school. Some people are all for it, others not so much. I'm in the camp that thinks graduate school is great, but without life and work experience it's not as worthy. I've noticed a trend with a lot of students lately who finish their undergraduate degree and continue straight to grad school - no break, no real world or work experience. They have a lot of degrees, but when it comes to their experience they don't have a lot to draw on professionally. I believe these students are missing out on the "other" grad school: Life.

I learned many lessons in college, but I've grown up in the real world. Although my passion and career is PR, I stumbled into this...it wasn't my original plan. I went to school for broadcasting and mass media studies, worked as a producer and reporter for a few years and then decided I wanted to pursue PR. Everything I've learned about the industry has been by doing and by taking in what more experienced professionals have shared with me. What I've learned by working, networking and through the contacts I've made through social media is an education all its own.

There is so much to learn in the real world and so much information available online. Participating in discussions with peers, reading blogs, getting involved in FPRA and Junior League have all played a role in molding me into the person and professional I have become.

I have so much growing and learning left to do. Life is a continual education and your experiences shape and change you constantly. I believe in the importance and power of a college and graduate school education...but books can only take you so far. You need to open up your mind and take everything in...learn from life, from mentors, from every experience good or bad, planned or unexpected.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Ivette!

    And you are so right... I didn't go to school for PR because I didn't know I wanted to do it until my senior year of college. So I found other ways to educate myself and I think it paid off. I thought about going straight to grad school, but then realized I needed some real world experience before I could make a decision as important as if/when/how to go about the next stage of formal education.

    See you Thursday at FPRA :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning on going to grad school soon but I have been working for a few years and I definitely appreciate the experience it has given me.

    Do you think the same applies for those with a set path- Med students and those in sciences or law? Pretty much you need to stay in school non-stop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think with med school, science fields it's different...the things you learn in school are really important...consider surgery. But, with PR/communications, I think it's more about doing, talking and sharing...it's not an exact science and the lessons you learn by living and working are priceless.

    ReplyDelete